Of all the updates we have sent since mid-March 2020, this is definitely our favourite: We are pleased to confirm that Terminal City Club is ready to begin the slow process of re-opening, starting next Wednesday, May 20 with the re-opening of the Fitness Centre only. At this time, all other areas and outlets of the Club will remain closed, but the Board and staff are excited to be able to take this first step towards our new normal.
As you probably expect, things will look and feel a little different as the Club slowly re-opens. First and foremost, of course, our priority will be the health and safety of you – our members – and our staff. The changes that you will see are based on recommendations from local and provincial health authorities, and are intended to help protect everyone’s health and safety.
Before addressing the details of accessing the Fitness Centre, it is important to reiterate the key pillars, as a successful re-opening will require that members take responsibility for their own safe behaviour to protect both themselves and others. These pillars include:
- Not visiting the Club under any circumstances if you or any members of your household are ill or experiencing any symptoms including fever, cough, tiredness, or shortness of breath; OR if you have returned from travel outside of British Columbia in the past 14 days.
- Safe social interaction: Respecting and observing physical distancing and related measures as requested within the club.
- Environmental and personal hygiene: Adhering to posted procedures for wiping down fitness equipment; as well as practising consistent hand and respiratory hygiene.
Here is an overview of what to expect, and how the TCC Fitness Centre will operate beginning on May 20:
- Only the Fitness Centre floor of the Club will be open. Neither members nor staff will have access to other areas of the Club (including washrooms, seating areas, Members’ Lounge or restaurants, etc.) for the time being.
- All members must check in at the Member Services (front desk), and will be escorted to the Fitness floor.
- In order to ensure that appropriate physical distancing is possible, access to the Fitness Centre will be controlled through a reservation system. All reservations are limited to one hour. Only members with reservations will be able to check in to the Club, no more than 10 minutes prior to their reserved time. At the end of their reserved time, members must exit the club promptly. Reservations can be made through Terminal City Club app, Member Central, text, or phone.
- To help offset capacity limitations and maximize member opportunity, the Fitness Centre will operate extended hours:
- 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday to Friday; and
- 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays
- All reservation slots will be one hour long, staggered at 10 minute intervals.
- Locker rooms and showers will be open, and attendants will be present to ensure locker room facilities remain clean at all times.
- The Fitness Centre will close for 30 minutes mid-day each day to conduct a deep clean. No reservations will be available during this time.
- At this time, only members and their immediate family members will be admitted as guests.
Full details of how to reserve a spot and what to expect, will be available shortly on our website. We understand the desire that many of our members will have to dive back into things, and share your excitement. But we must also ask for your patience as we try out this new system. There are bound to be kinks and we will do our best to fix them as seamlessly as possible, but always with health and safety as our first priority.
Finally, we want to acknowledge that the process of re-starting, re-opening, and/or re-emerging will be different for each individual. Personal circumstances, experiences, and perceptions will play a big role in how each member approaches the next few months, and we recognize that not all our members will be in a position to return to the club right away. Please rest assured that we are holding a place for you, and that when the time is right for you, we will be very glad to see you again!
Additional details will continue to be communicated as soon as we have them. We look forward to seeing those of you who are raring to go, next week and the weeks ahead.
Board of Directors
Terminal City Club