Everyone looks forward to the warm summer sun and the outdoor sports and activities that accompany it. While the UV radiation from the sun provides us with many benefits, there are important risks to keep in mind with overexposure. Here are the top sunscreen do’s and don’ts to ensure your skin stays safe this season.
1. Do choose an SPF of no lower than 30 and no higher than 50, with at least three of the following active ingredients:
2. Do choose a water-resistant sunscreen that will stay put on hot days, while playing sports, or if you spend a lot of time outdoors. These sunscreens are less likely to drip into your eyes when you sweat.
3. Do use enough. To get the full SPF of a sunscreen, you need to apply one ounce. Most people apply only one-half to one-quarter of that amount, which means the actual SPF they have on their body is lower than advertised. To allow ingredients to fully bind to the skin, apply 30 minutes before sun exposure.
4. Don’t forget to reapply. No sunscreen, regardless of strength, should be expected to stay effective longer than two hours without reapplication. It should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating during sports.
5. Don’t rely solely on a high SPF. Products with very high SPFs can create a false sense of security, prompting individuals to stay out in the sun longer and neglect other sun-protective behaviors, like seeking the shade and wearing sun-protective clothing. However, sun damage can take place without skin-reddening doses of UV radiation.
6. Do look for the new seal of recognition for proper UVA & UVB protection. When buying a sunscreen ensure that it states: UVA & UVB protection or contains the Health Canada UVA Seal.
7. Don’t expose children under the age of six months to either the sun or to sunscreen. Shade and protective clothing are the best ways to protect infants from the sun.
8. Do wear sunscreen daily, including cold or cloudy days – up to 40 per cent of the sun’s UV radiation reaches the earth on a completely cloudy day.
SAVE THE DATE
Copeman Healthcare Speaker Series
September 19: Women’s Health & Menopause – Dr. Beth Donaldson
January 9: Men’s Preventative Health – Dr. Peter House
March 13: Travel Health – Amra
June 19: Stress Management – Dr. Randy Mackoff
To book spa services, please call the Fitness Centre at 604 488 8622 or fill in the following form.
To book spa services – please call the Fitness Centre at 604 488 8622
6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
If you have any questions about our various squash programs, please fill in the form below and our program directors will get back to you.
6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
If you have any questions about our various swim programs, please fill in the form below and our program directors will get back to you.
In order to book a tour, please fill out the following form:
Dress Code: Smart Casual
Unless otherwise specified, all areas of the Club, including the Grill Room, 1892, Cuvée Wine Bar, patios and private function rooms have a dress code of smart casual. Smart casual attire includes collared or turtle neck shirts, golf or knee length shorts, and dress pants. Similar attire is required for ladies. Denim is acceptable provided a collared shirt is worn and denim is of a solid colour with no fading, tears or patches.
All footwear is to be clean and smart. Casual thong footwear is not permitted outside of the fitness centre.
TO SNACK AND SHARE
warm potato chips 9
caramelized onion dip
confit tuna conserva 14
toasted baguette, preserved lemon, Mediterranean olives
cheese and charcuterie 24
selection of 3 cured meats and 3 artisanal cheeses, pickles, mustard, crostini
seafood tower 38
crab leg, poached prawns, scallop ceviche, marinated octopus, smoked salmon, rare ahi tuna, cocktail sauce, lemon aioli, wakami gomae
mezze plate 18
beet hummus, za’atar spiced Macedonian feta, marinated tomatoes, Castletravano olives, lavash
wagyu beef carpaccio nigiri 17
bonito mayo, pickled ginger, micro salad
crispy fried chicken 14
sumac spiced honey, sugar waffle shards
blistered shishito peppers 11
Aleppo chili, lime, smoked maldon, micro cilantro
satay trio 18
2 piece each
tandoori grilled salmon belly, raita
kabayaki glazed prawn, avocado salsa
grilled flank steak, hazelnut coconut sauce
sliders 5 each
Beef, caramelized onion, house pickle, pretzel bun
Salmon, tzaziki, cabbage slaw, pretzel bun
Chicken, lettuce, tomato, harissa aioli, pretzel bun
Quinoa vegetable, beet hummus, marinated tomato, pretzel bun
THE LIGHTER SIDE
north arm farm heirloom carrots 9
charred broccolini 9
potatoes mostarda 9
seasonal vegetables 9
fine herb butter
hand-cut kennabec fries 8
truffle aioli, chive
caesar salad 12
romaine, olive oil fried sourdough, white anchovies, parmesan
house-made beef burger 22
CAB chuck & brisket, brioche bun, aged cheddar, double smoked bacon, tomato, caramalized onions, lettuce, house made pickles
quinoa vegetable burger 17
red pepper hummus, tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, pickle, brioche bun, signature sauce
marinated Tofu poke bowl 23
shaved spring radish, chili pickled cucumber, avocado, warm jade rice, taro chips
braised beef cheek pappardelle 24
pearl onions, ricotta salata, pine nuts
carrot & saffron risotto 23
olive crumble, carrot chips
Seafood Chowder | 9
Salade Tatin | 15
spring vegetables, Golden Ears Cheesecrafters Neufchatel, marcona almonds, puff pastry, 62°egg
Steak Tartare | 15
Horseradish cream, capers, shallots, cured egg yolk
Pan Seared Scallops | 16
squid ink aioli, kohlrabi slaw
Hamachi Crudo | 17
kombu cured Hamachi crudo, yuzu, castelvetrano olives, puffed rice
Caesar Salad | 13
romaine, white anchovy, parmesan cheese, crouton
White Anchovy and Burrata Toastie | 17
rye bread, olive oil, basil tomato confit
Salad Maison | 15
Hannah Brook Farm greens, frisse, radicchio, pickled Anjou pear, spiced walnuts, Macedonian feta, basil vinaigrette
Asparagus and Prosciutto Salad | 17
snap peas, shaved zucchini, smoked apple, pea shoots, white balsamic dressing
DAILY SANDWICH | 16
served with choice of soup, salad or fries
Seafood Cobb Salad | 24
Scallop, prawn, seared ahi, candied salmon belly, salmon roe, heritage greens, avocado buttermilk dressing
Rossdown Free Range Chicken Salad | 24
Hannah Brook Farm Heirloom Greens, Hannah Brook Farm greens, frissee, radicchio, pickled Anjou pear, spiced walnuts, Macedonian feta, basil vinaigrette
Club Bowl | 19
mixed beans and sprouted grains, avocado, edamame hummus, tomato, hearty chips, puffed amaranth
add 62° egg 3.25
Tamari Sablefish Rice Bowl | 29
jade rice, crunchy shaved vegetables, ginger ponzu vinaigrette
Agadashi Chick Pea Fritter | 27
mushroom broth, enoki, baby bok choy
Sesame Crusted Rare Ahi Tuna | 29
edamame succotash, unagi glaze, crispy leeks
1892 Panini | 16
capicollo, provolone, ham, arugula, lemon aioli, ciabatta
Served with choice of soup, salad or fries
1892 Burger | 22
ground bison and beef, house made aioli, pickles, smoked bacon jam, radicchio, tomato, aged cheddar, brioche bun
Served with choice of soup, salad or fries
Steak Frites | 36
7oz Wagyu Sirloin, hand cut French fries, tomato horseradish butter, choice of petite salad, soup or heirloom vegetables
Charred Hanger Steak | 29
whipped potato, brocollini, sauce bordelaise
Pappadelle Sauce Vierge | 23
Heirloom tomato, basil, extra virgin olive oil, coriander
Add crab meat or braised short rib 8
Wild “Pacific Provider” Pacific Salmon | 35
tamari wild rice, bonito aioli, crisp seaweed
Chorizo Crusted Halibut | 42
roasted pepper emulsion, amaranth salad, mint chimicurri
Saffron & Carrot Gnocchi | 27
brown butter carrot puree, pinenut crumble, gruyere
To book a venue, please fill out the following form:
Thai Curry Chicken & Vegetable | 7
contains shrimp paste
PACIFIC FISH CHOWDER
Salmon Sablefish & Clams | 8
Smoked Salmon Toast | 15
avocado, cherry tomato, petite salad
toasted sourdough bread
soup, salad or fries
Baby Shrimp & Soba Noodle Salad | 18
mandarin orange, red cabbage, cherry tomato romaine, citrus dressing
Pan Fried Arctic Char | 22
basmati rice, mixed vegetables
baby shrimp cream sauce
Vanilla Custard Tart | 10
apple compote, cardamom crumble
Elderflower & Prosecco Gelee | 10
raspberry yogurt panna cotta
Red Velvet Cake | 10
cream cheese, shaved chocolate
Stay tuned for next quarter's wine club!