Click here to read the June issue of Terminal City Times!
We are approaching the end of our third fiscal quarter. The Club’s activities and financial position are still very strong. Recently, your board of directors and the Club executive completed its strategic planning session for the coming year. Believe it or not, a great deal of thought and attention goes into ensuring that the Club maintains its reputation, services, facilities and financial well-being long into the future.
The planning session was an energetic and productive day, and I am happy to share a few of the key outcomes that we will move forward on during the coming fiscal year:
– Plans for enhancements to the Members’ Lounge/Billiard Room. Don’t worry, it will still have billiard tables, just not as many! But this is a large, under-utilized space, with great potential to be more engaging to a wider spectrum of both members and guests. Our goal is to make the renewed Billiards Room a place that members will want to congregate, meet with other members and guests and have a great experience. We want the room to be a destination rather than a stopping off point to meet in other areas. Our plans, subject to change of course, will include luxurious seating and social tables, with the addition of individual wine lockers.
– Improved phone areas throughout the Club, to allow members and guests to respect Club policy regarding the use of cell phones, but still stay in touch with external commitments as/when needed. We recognize that the use of cell phones is necessary in today’s business climate, but we also have to be very respectful of other members rights to enjoy privacy and sometimes tranquility.
– Development of a “roadmap” and timeline for subscription rate increases, as we near 1,892 shareholding members. Our strategy quite a few years ago was to grow the membership base to a level that the Club could comfortably accommodate and improve our finances. To get there we dramatically reduced our subscription rates. This strategy was very successful and enabled us to grow the membership to a level very close to our objective. We plan to increase the subscription rates close to our old rates over the next two years.
– Development of a long-range strategy for Capital Reserve spending. Again, quite a few years ago we implemented the Capital Reserve Fund. This fund was created to ensure that our facilities and infrastructure would be well maintained. We monitor this reserve every year to ensure that it is well funded and capable of financing any planned or unplanned repairs or improvements.
We would also like to thank to all of our Members who responded to the recent Annual Member Survey, as well as to the fellow Board members and the executive staff who participated in the planning session. All of these inputs were valuable and served as a basis for our discussion and outcomes. To paraphrase the Cheshire Cat, “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” Fortunately, these sessions enabled us to update and build on our strategic plan, keeping us on the path to enhance our Club in a way that is thoughtful and meaningful.
Although not a specific “outcome” of the planning session, a continued focus on quality, consistency, and service has also been a key discussion point in all departments, with respect to all areas of the Club. Our board of directors and staff strive to continually build on our strengths and improve the member experience, so that your Club visit is the best 90 minutes of your day. I encourage you to share your experience at
firstname.lastname@example.org, whether you have an observation or suggestion for improvement; or also if a team member (or your experience) exceeds your expectations.
There are a great deal of exciting events happening at the Club as we move into the patio season:
– Think of hosting your family or co-workers for a BBQ? Private BBQ parties are available – check out the package available online at tcclub.com.
– Reserve now for our Father’s Day BBQ Dinner Buffet, on Sunday, June 17. Make this one barbeque that Dad doesn’t have to work at!
– Happy Hour continues. Wind up the day and enjoy $5 featured wine or beer, Mondays to Fridays, from 2 – 5 p.m. in Cuvée and 3:30 – 5 p.m. on Fitness Centre Patio.
– Watch your emails for other member events, including a Winemaker’s Dinner, our Slide into Summer Event, and Games Night – all coming soon.
– It’s never too soon to get a golf tournament onto your calendar, so start warming up your foursome for the annual Terminal City Club tournament, taking place on Monday, September 24 at Point Grey Golf & Country Club. Proceeds will benefit the Royal Columbian Hospital Foundation.
Spring and summer are beautiful seasons to enjoy your membership to the fullest, and also to introduce your friends and colleagues to all the benefits that the Terminal City Club has to offer. I encourage you to take advantage of this early Spring to bring your guests and enjoy a workout, a patio table, or the view from a window.
May there be many sunny days ahead for all of us to enjoy! I look forward to seeing you around the Club.
Terminal City Club President
To book spa services, please call the Fitness Centre at 604 488 8622 or fill in the following form.
To book spa services – please call the Fitness Centre at 604 488 8622
6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
If you have any questions about our various squash programs, please fill in the form below and our program directors will get back to you.
6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
If you have any questions about our various swim programs, please fill in the form below and our program directors will get back to you.
In order to book a tour, please fill out the following form:
Dress Code: Smart Casual
Unless otherwise specified, all areas of the Club, including the Grill Room, 1892, Cuvée Wine Bar, patios and private function rooms have a dress code of smart casual. Smart casual attire includes collared or turtle neck shirts, golf or knee length shorts, and dress pants. Similar attire is required for ladies. Denim is acceptable provided a collared shirt is worn and denim is of a solid colour with no fading, tears or patches.
All footwear is to be clean and smart. Casual thong footwear is not permitted outside of the fitness centre.
TO SNACK AND SHARE
warm potato chips 9
caramelized onion dip
confit tuna conserva 14
toasted baguette, preserved lemon, Mediterranean olives
cheese and charcuterie 24
selection of 3 cured meats and 3 artisanal cheeses, pickles, mustard, crostini
seafood tower 38
crab leg, poached prawns, scallop ceviche, marinated octopus, smoked salmon, rare ahi tuna, cocktail sauce, lemon aioli, wakami gomae
mezze plate 18
beet hummus, za’atar spiced Macedonian feta, marinated tomatoes, Castletravano olives, lavash
wagyu beef carpaccio nigiri 17
bonito mayo, pickled ginger, micro salad
crispy fried chicken 14
sumac spiced honey, sugar waffle shards
blistered shishito peppers 11
Aleppo chili, lime, smoked maldon, micro cilantro
satay trio 18
2 piece each
tandoori grilled salmon belly, raita
kabayaki glazed prawn, avocado salsa
grilled flank steak, hazelnut coconut sauce
sliders 5 each
Beef, caramelized onion, house pickle, pretzel bun
Salmon, tzaziki, cabbage slaw, pretzel bun
Chicken, lettuce, tomato, harissa aioli, pretzel bun
Quinoa vegetable, beet hummus, marinated tomato, pretzel bun
THE LIGHTER SIDE
north arm farm heirloom carrots 9
charred broccolini 9
potatoes mostarda 9
seasonal vegetables 9
fine herb butter
hand-cut kennabec fries 8
truffle aioli, chive
caesar salad 12
romaine, olive oil fried sourdough, white anchovies, parmesan
house-made beef burger 22
CAB chuck & brisket, brioche bun, aged cheddar, double smoked bacon, tomato, caramalized onions, lettuce, house made pickles
quinoa vegetable burger 17
red pepper hummus, tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, pickle, brioche bun, signature sauce
marinated Tofu poke bowl 23
shaved spring radish, chili pickled cucumber, avocado, warm jade rice, taro chips
braised beef cheek pappardelle 24
pearl onions, ricotta salata, pine nuts
carrot & saffron risotto 23
olive crumble, carrot chips
Seafood Chowder | 9
Salade Tatin | 15
spring vegetables, Golden Ears Cheesecrafters Neufchatel, marcona almonds, puff pastry, 62°egg
Steak Tartare | 15
Horseradish cream, capers, shallots, cured egg yolk
Pan Seared Scallops | 16
squid ink aioli, kohlrabi slaw
Hamachi Crudo | 17
kombu cured Hamachi crudo, yuzu, castelvetrano olives, puffed rice
Caesar Salad | 13
romaine, white anchovy, parmesan cheese, crouton
White Anchovy and Burrata Toastie | 17
rye bread, olive oil, basil tomato confit
Salad Maison | 15
Hannah Brook Farm greens, frisse, radicchio, pickled Anjou pear, spiced walnuts, Macedonian feta, basil vinaigrette
Asparagus and Prosciutto Salad | 17
snap peas, shaved zucchini, smoked apple, pea shoots, white balsamic dressing
DAILY SANDWICH | 16
served with choice of soup, salad or fries
Seafood Cobb Salad | 24
Scallop, prawn, seared ahi, candied salmon belly, salmon roe, heritage greens, avocado buttermilk dressing
Rossdown Free Range Chicken Salad | 24
Hannah Brook Farm Heirloom Greens, Hannah Brook Farm greens, frissee, radicchio, pickled Anjou pear, spiced walnuts, Macedonian feta, basil vinaigrette
Club Bowl | 19
mixed beans and sprouted grains, avocado, edamame hummus, tomato, hearty chips, puffed amaranth
add 62° egg 3.25
Tamari Sablefish Rice Bowl | 29
jade rice, crunchy shaved vegetables, ginger ponzu vinaigrette
Agadashi Chick Pea Fritter | 27
mushroom broth, enoki, baby bok choy
Sesame Crusted Rare Ahi Tuna | 29
edamame succotash, unagi glaze, crispy leeks
1892 Panini | 16
capicollo, provolone, ham, arugula, lemon aioli, ciabatta
Served with choice of soup, salad or fries
1892 Burger | 22
ground bison and beef, house made aioli, pickles, smoked bacon jam, radicchio, tomato, aged cheddar, brioche bun
Served with choice of soup, salad or fries
Steak Frites | 36
7oz Wagyu Sirloin, hand cut French fries, tomato horseradish butter, choice of petite salad, soup or heirloom vegetables
Charred Hanger Steak | 29
whipped potato, brocollini, sauce bordelaise
Pappadelle Sauce Vierge | 23
Heirloom tomato, basil, extra virgin olive oil, coriander
Add crab meat or braised short rib 8
Wild “Pacific Provider” Pacific Salmon | 35
tamari wild rice, bonito aioli, crisp seaweed
Chorizo Crusted Halibut | 42
roasted pepper emulsion, amaranth salad, mint chimicurri
Saffron & Carrot Gnocchi | 27
brown butter carrot puree, pinenut crumble, gruyere
To book a venue, please fill out the following form:
Thai Curry Chicken & Vegetable | 7
contains shrimp paste
PACIFIC FISH CHOWDER
Salmon Sablefish & Clams | 8
Smoked Salmon Toast | 15
avocado, cherry tomato, petite salad
toasted sourdough bread
soup, salad or fries
Baby Shrimp & Soba Noodle Salad | 18
mandarin orange, red cabbage, cherry tomato romaine, citrus dressing
Pan Fried Arctic Char | 22
basmati rice, mixed vegetables
baby shrimp cream sauce
Vanilla Custard Tart | 10
apple compote, cardamom crumble
Elderflower & Prosecco Gelee | 10
raspberry yogurt panna cotta
Red Velvet Cake | 10
cream cheese, shaved chocolate
Stay tuned for next quarter's wine club!