Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to reconnect with one of my best friends from the neighbourhood. We decided to meet for lunch on the Grill patio at TCC.
It had been a while since we caught up, but in no time we were discussing those everyday things like family, friends, and naturally, stories from the past. (If any Canucks scouts overheard us, we could be getting a call up next time they require some gritty role players.) But more than anything, I can’t begin to describe how great it was to see my old friend in person. There’s nothing like two months of isolation (alone or with your family) to make you really appreciate the ability to connect in person over a glass of wine on the patio. It also reminded me about the spectacular views we can enjoy from any one of the Club’s five patios!
Over the past several weeks, the TCC management team has been working hard in preparation for re-opening. We would also like to extend special thanks to our health partners: Copeman Health Care and Pure Integrative Pharmacy. Copeman’s Dr. Raymond McConville visited the Club and provided some thoughtful observations to help us fine-tune our efforts to provide a safe environment for members and staff; and Pure’s Bob Mehr stepped up to provide the Club with touchless thermometers. In this period when specific advice and specialized supplies can be difficult to find, we really appreciate the efforts of our partners to help us create the best environment possible.
Health and safety remain our first priorities, and to support that, your Board of Directors have also challenged staff to thoughtfully and creatively re-imagine the use of our space to best serve members. We have tried to abandon the constraints of the “traditional” uses of our various spaces, given that large groups are simply out of the question for the foreseeable short term.
You will see this re-imagining in our changed offerings for members. For example:
- Aside from the expected physical distancing set ups in our restaurants, did you know that Members may also reserve a space to work from the Club? Generously spaced, individual work stations with power outlets are set up in some of our larger rooms, and a temporary allowance has been made for cell phone use at designated stations around the main staircase, to allow for zoom meetings and telephone calls.
- Our technology can be used to facilitate larger group meetings (within provincial public health guidelines) by setting up individual stations and using drop-down screens and digital technology to allow for meaningful connections in a safe configuration. The ability to space tables can also help to accommodate small family gatherings with separate households at separate tables.
- Catering continues to be available!
- Members will receive a food credit reflecting the Club’s seven-week closure. You will see this in your mailbox in the coming days, and we hope you will find a chance to enjoy it in the near future.
- Members can also enjoy a bonus 25 hours of free weekday parking for the month of June, in the TCC parkade. This bonus applies to hours from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. (As always, member parking remains complimentary from 4 p.m. to 9 a.m. weekdays, and all weekend.)
Of course, there are some Club processes that are also different right now, including:
- Reservations required for all spaces, including Fitness Centre and patios.
- Entry through the front lobby only, and signing in with a health declaration on each visit. (Note that visit records will be safely stored for 30 days, at request of the provincial health officer, to allow for contact tracing if necessary.)
- Enhanced cleaning protocols that may briefly interrupt the regular rhythm of things; as well as things like hand sanitizer and masks welcome throughout the Club.
All of these measures are for the protection of members and staff, and we appreciate your cooperation in helping us maintain a safe environment.
As we move forward with health and safety top-of-mind, things will continue to feel a little different around the Club. It certainly is a change from the hustle and bustle of just a few months ago, but we are still here to welcome you with a peaceful refuge, and the views have never looked better.
I look forward to seeing you (from a distance) soon,
Terminal City Club President