Click here to read the June issue of Terminal City Times!
We are approaching the end of our third fiscal quarter. The Club’s activities and financial position are still very strong. Recently, your board of directors and the Club executive completed its strategic planning session for the coming year. Believe it or not, a great deal of thought and attention goes into ensuring that the Club maintains its reputation, services, facilities and financial well-being long into the future.
The planning session was an energetic and productive day, and I am happy to share a few of the key outcomes that we will move forward on during the coming fiscal year:
– Plans for enhancements to the Members’ Lounge/Billiard Room. Don’t worry, it will still have billiard tables, just not as many! But this is a large, under-utilized space, with great potential to be more engaging to a wider spectrum of both members and guests. Our goal is to make the renewed Billiards Room a place that members will want to congregate, meet with other members and guests and have a great experience. We want the room to be a destination rather than a stopping off point to meet in other areas. Our plans, subject to change of course, will include luxurious seating and social tables, with the addition of individual wine lockers.
– Improved phone areas throughout the Club, to allow members and guests to respect Club policy regarding the use of cell phones, but still stay in touch with external commitments as/when needed. We recognize that the use of cell phones is necessary in today’s business climate, but we also have to be very respectful of other members rights to enjoy privacy and sometimes tranquility.
– Development of a “roadmap” and timeline for subscription rate increases, as we near 1,892 shareholding members. Our strategy quite a few years ago was to grow the membership base to a level that the Club could comfortably accommodate and improve our finances. To get there we dramatically reduced our subscription rates. This strategy was very successful and enabled us to grow the membership to a level very close to our objective. We plan to increase the subscription rates close to our old rates over the next two years.
– Development of a long-range strategy for Capital Reserve spending. Again, quite a few years ago we implemented the Capital Reserve Fund. This fund was created to ensure that our facilities and infrastructure would be well maintained. We monitor this reserve every year to ensure that it is well funded and capable of financing any planned or unplanned repairs or improvements.
We would also like to thank to all of our Members who responded to the recent Annual Member Survey, as well as to the fellow Board members and the executive staff who participated in the planning session. All of these inputs were valuable and served as a basis for our discussion and outcomes. To paraphrase the Cheshire Cat, “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” Fortunately, these sessions enabled us to update and build on our strategic plan, keeping us on the path to enhance our Club in a way that is thoughtful and meaningful.
Although not a specific “outcome” of the planning session, a continued focus on quality, consistency, and service has also been a key discussion point in all departments, with respect to all areas of the Club. Our board of directors and staff strive to continually build on our strengths and improve the member experience, so that your Club visit is the best 90 minutes of your day. I encourage you to share your experience at
firstname.lastname@example.org, whether you have an observation or suggestion for improvement; or also if a team member (or your experience) exceeds your expectations.
There are a great deal of exciting events happening at the Club as we move into the patio season:
– Think of hosting your family or co-workers for a BBQ? Private BBQ parties are available – check out the package available online at tcclub.com.
– Reserve now for our Father’s Day BBQ Dinner Buffet, on Sunday, June 17. Make this one barbeque that Dad doesn’t have to work at!
– Happy Hour continues. Wind up the day and enjoy $5 featured wine or beer, Mondays to Fridays, from 2 – 5 p.m. in Cuvée and 3:30 – 5 p.m. on Fitness Centre Patio.
– Watch your emails for other member events, including a Winemaker’s Dinner, our Slide into Summer Event, and Games Night – all coming soon.
– It’s never too soon to get a golf tournament onto your calendar, so start warming up your foursome for the annual Terminal City Club tournament, taking place on Monday, September 24 at Point Grey Golf & Country Club. Proceeds will benefit the Royal Columbian Hospital Foundation.
Spring and summer are beautiful seasons to enjoy your membership to the fullest, and also to introduce your friends and colleagues to all the benefits that the Terminal City Club has to offer. I encourage you to take advantage of this early Spring to bring your guests and enjoy a workout, a patio table, or the view from a window.
May there be many sunny days ahead for all of us to enjoy! I look forward to seeing you around the Club.
Terminal City Club President
To book spa services, please call the Fitness Centre at 604 488 8622 or fill in the following form.
To book spa services – please call the Fitness Centre at 604 488 8622
6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
If you have any questions about our various squash programs, please fill in the form below and our program directors will get back to you.
6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
If you have any questions about our various swim programs, please fill in the form below and our program directors will get back to you.
In order to book a tour, please fill out the following form:
Dress Code: Smart Casual
Unless otherwise specified, all areas of the Club, including the Grill Room, 1892, Cuvée Wine Bar, patios and private function rooms have a dress code of smart casual. Smart casual attire includes collared or turtle neck shirts, golf or knee length shorts, and dress pants. Similar attire is required for ladies. Denim is acceptable provided a collared shirt is worn and denim is of a solid colour with no fading, tears or patches.
All footwear is to be clean and smart. Casual thong footwear is not permitted outside of the fitness centre.
To book a venue, please fill out the following form:
Friday, June 22, 2018
Chicken & Corn
Smoked Salmon on Rye Bread
sliced tomato, cream cheese,
soup, salad or fries
cherry tomato, cucumber, apple,
grainy mustard vinaigrette
basmati rice, broccolini
cream cheese icing, carrot ribbon
pineapple caramel sauce
New York Cheesecake
lemon curd, graham crumble,
Peanut Butter Bar
dark chocolate mousse, caramel
Apple Spice Cake
toffee sauce, ice cream, walnut snap
Stay tuned for next quarter's wine club!